30th Anniversary of the Polmaise Colliery Closure

 This month sees the 30th anniversary of the closure of Polmaise Colliery 3 & 4, the pit which was first out in the Miners’ Strike of 1984, and last to return when the strike broke in 1985. British Coal announced the closure of Polmaise Colliery on 15 July 1987. Two

Continue reading

From Ceylon to Cambusbarron

Today’s story about the Scottish Women’s Rural Institute in Cambusbarron, heralds a special summer exhibition at the Stirling Smith, beginning 15 July. ‘Crafty Goings On!’ celebrates 100 years of the SWRI, now the Scottish Women’s Institute, and features intricate craft work from members of the Stirling, Clackmannan and West Perthshire

Continue reading

Stirling Golf Club Medal

A previous blog featured John Duncan (1861-1939) who was the professional at Kings Park Golf Club from July 1901 to his retirement in 1935 This image is of a medal presented by Stirling Golf Club in the early 20th Century Being won by:- J S McGregor 1904 J R Archibald

Continue reading

Bannockburn House

This is one of a collection of watercolours by the artist and antiquary Jane Ann Wright (1842 – 1922) in the Stirling Smith collections. She and her sister Isabella Murray Wright lived in Livilands and then Melville Terrace. They were part of an extended old Stirling family, who were historically

Continue reading

Dunblane Hydro

Originally a Victorian health spa resort, Dunblane Hydro has become a very well known and loved landmark, in the Town of Dunblane Crieff and Bridge of Allan are two other local Spa Towns in the Stirling area. ‘Taking the waters’ was a popular pursuit in Victorian Britain, with rheumatism, alcoholic

Continue reading

Polmaise Castle, Jane Ann Wright (1842 – 1922)

Few now remember Polmaise Castle, but as the annual march of the Gillies which takes place this Sunday 25 June at 2pm  passes near to the site, its history is worth revisiting. The Save Gillies Hill campaign was set up to protect the historic hill from quarrying. Last century, Murrayshall

Continue reading

John Duncan, Stirling’s Golfing Professional 1901-1935

This week’s image is an old photograph of a John Duncan taken in 1932 On first inspection it shows an elderly man standing at a workshop bench possibly a joiner to trade Looking more closely, it became clear that there was more to the actual picture, than I had first

Continue reading

The Stirling Seal

  This display box of carved oak contains a wax copy of the seal of Stirling. It was found at auction by Friend of the Smith Dr Robin Campbell and is a recent purchase for the Stirling Smith courtesy of the Stirling Common Good Fund. The seal was appended to

Continue reading

Fintry Primary School – 1839-1961

This week’s image was included in a series of views taken around the village of Fintry On the front of the building a clock is clearly visible The building had been the local school   Financed by a Mr John Stewart, a retired Fintry merchant, it was named after him –

Continue reading

Dentolux Lamp, Dental Health in the 1920s-40s

The Dentolux Lamp was made in 1935 by the British Hanovia Company of Slough, founded in 1924 and still in business. The company have always specialised in ultra violet lighting products and today they produce industrial systems for the UV treatment of water in ships’ ballasts and in swimming pools.

Continue reading