Old Coffee House, Bow Street

In 1902, the architect J S Fleming published a book, The Ancient Castles and Mansions of the Stirling Nobility. It had hundreds of drawings, mainly of the buildings in the Top of the Town which have long since been demolished. Another artist, Alexander Douglas Junior, visited some of the buildings

Continue reading

Municipal buildings, Stirling

Places change their geographical focus through time. For most of the twentieth century, Corn Exchange was the commercial, literary, ceremonial and municipal centre of Stirling. Shown here is a royal visit at the Municipal Buildings in 1929. The Municipal Buildings were opened less than 100 years ago in 1918, joining

Continue reading

The Barras Yet

The Barras Yet or Burgh Gate in the Port Street / Dumbarton Road area was the main entry into Stirling for at least 300 years. Demolished in the 1770s, it was the place where customs were collected and criminals were formally drummed out of the town. There are frequent references

Continue reading