Gates of Death, 1969 by John Bellany

This painting came to the Stirling Smith from the Scottish Arts Council Bequest of 1998. John Bellany, CBE, RA, (1942 – 2013) graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 1968. This picture is one of his earliest works, of which there are 128, in public collections in Britain. Throughout his

Continue reading

Observer Christmas – Stirling Story no.52 for 25 December 2013

The Stirling Observer Christmas Numbers are now the history journals of their times.  This issue for 25 December 1949 is a recent gift to the Stirling Smith by Finlay Lumsden of Deanston, and is a window into the world of Stirling, 65 years ago.   The cover is by Sandford

Continue reading

Stirling Station Stirling Story no. 50 for 11 December 2013

The railway came to Stirling through an Act of Parliament of 1845, bringing trade and tourism in a big way, and altering Stirling’s outlook and travelling habits. The advent of the railway saw the end of cattle droving; within 50 years, the great trysts of Doune and Falkirk had ceased,

Continue reading

Hairdressing in Stirling – Stirling Story no.49 for 4 December 2013

Today’s story shows a Stirling Hairdresser of an earlier era.  The salon of Archibald A. Ross was at 12A Upper Craigs (at present, The Trophy Centre) from 1930-1961.  This photograph of the late 1950s, shows his son Archibald B.E. Ross, at the shop doorway.  The window has a good range

Continue reading

Ship’s Compass, 1764 – Stirling Story no.40 for 2 October 2013

Stirling was an important port until the 20th century. For that reason, many seafaring men retired here and some left their working tools to the Stirling Smith like this beautiful compass used by Captain James Forrest. The compass is of French manufacture and is dated 1764. Forrest lived in the

Continue reading