23 May 2018
The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum takes your privacy very seriously. We know that you, like us, care about how your personal information is used and shared.
Our Privacy Promise TO YOU
- To keep your data safe and private.
- Not to sell your data.
- To give you ways to manage and review your marketing choices at any time.
Please read the following to learn more about how we collect, store, use and disclose information about you when you interact with us, in any manner, via our website and/or our services.
HOW THE LAW PROTECTS YOU
As well as our Privacy Promise, the law protects your right to privacy – this section explains how that works. Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use personal information only if we have a proper reason to do so. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons:
- To fulfil a contract we have with you, or
- When it is our legal duty, or
- When it is in our legitimate interest, or
- When you consent to it.
A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information. But even then, it must not unfairly go against what is right and best for you. If we rely on our legitimate interest, we will tell you what that is.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES THE STIRLING SMITH ART GALLERY AND MUSEUM COLLECT?
- a) INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US:
When you use our website – we collect the personal information that you choose to provide for us e.g. your name, your email address, your telephone number or your address via our online forms.
When you donate items to the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum collections we note your name and address and relevant information about the items donated.
When you use our services we collect the personal information that you provide to us, for example, your name, your email address, your address, as well as any other contact information you choose to provide us in connection with the delivery of services.
When you attend our events we collect the personal information that you choose to provide for us e.g. your name, your email address, or your address using our visitor survey forms.
- b) INFORMATION WE AUTOMATICALLY COLLECT:
When you use our website – we collect information via cookies and other similar technologies which may include saving cookies to users’ computers. We collect certain information related to your device such as your device’s IP address, referring website, what pages your device visited, and the time that your device visited our website.
HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION?
We use the information we collect via our services for a range of reasons, including:
- to send you information to tell you about relevant news, events and exhibitions. This is what we mean when we talk about ‘marketing’
- to set up a contact record in our data system;
- to provide, operate and maintain the services;
- to process and complete transactions and send related information including transaction confirmations and invoices;
- to manage our visitors’ use of the services i.e. respond to enquiries and comments and provide visitor service and support;
- to investigate and prevent fraudulent activities, unauthorised access to the services, and other illegal activities;
- for any other purposes about which we notify visitors and users.
We use the information we collect via our website or visitor survey forms:
- for the purposes made clear to you at the time you submit your information – for example, to fulfil your request for information on our exhibitions, events and news;
- for administration and reporting purposes including (but not limited to) performance analysis, statistical analysis and testing
- to improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner
- to analyse visitors use of our website for trend monitoring and marketing purposes;
- as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure.
- We may also use the information you send to us via our website and/or services, to communicate with you via email and possibly other means regarding exhibitions, events, services and promotions we think may be of interest to you or to send you our newsletter.
We can only use your personal information to send you marketing messages if we have either your consent or a ‘legitimate interest’. That is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information. It must not unfairly go against what is right and best for you.
You will always be able to opt-out of such communications at any time (see the “What choices do I have” section below).
HOW DO WE SHARE / DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES?
We do not rent or sell your Personal Information to anyone under any circumstances.
We may process your personal information for our legitimate business interests e.g. direct marketing, data analytics and/or enhancing/improving our services (see ‘Legitimate Interests’ section below).
We do not transfer any information, personal or otherwise, outside the EEA (European Economic Area).
Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your Personal Information in response to valid requests by public authorities such as the Police or security services.
“Legitimate Interests” mean the interests of our organisation in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/products and the best and most secure experience. For example, we have an interest in making sure our marketing is relevant for you, so we may process your information to send you marketing that is tailored to your interests. It can also apply to processing that is in your interests as well. For example, we may process your information to protect you against fraud when transacting on our website, and to ensure our websites and systems are secure.
When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
If you have any concerns you have the right to object to processing that is based on our legitimate interests.
IS PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT ME SECURE?
We use appropriate technical, organisational and administrative security measures to protect any information we hold from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Unfortunately, no company or service can guarantee complete security. Unauthorised entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time.
WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE?
You can always opt not to disclose information to us, but keep in mind some information may be needed to register with us or to take advantage of our services. You can opt-out of receiving promotional or marketing communications from us at any time by using the unsubscribe link in the email communications we send or by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What if you want us to stop using your personal information?
You have the right to object to our use of your personal information, or to ask us to delete, remove, or stop using your personal information if there is no need for us to keep it. This is known as the ‘right to object’ and ‘right to erasure’, or the ‘right to be forgotten’.
You can ask us to restrict the use of your personal information if:
- It is not accurate.
- It has been used unlawfully but you don’t want us to delete it.
- It not relevant any more, but you want us to keep it for use in legal claims.
- You have already asked us to stop using your data but you are waiting for us to tell you if we are allowed to keep on using it.
- If you want to object to how we use your data or ask us to delete it or restrict how we use it or, please contact us.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for the Services or send any Personal Information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Information please contact us at email@example.com
WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS POLICY?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy policies, please send a detailed message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our main address for the purposes of the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum website is
The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum, 40 Albert Place, Dumbarton Road, Stirling FK8 2RQ
The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum is a registered Scottish Charity No. SC016162